Friday, September 27, 2013

Knitted Cotton Rug Finished

Yesterday I sewed the squares together and was just about to crochet around the outside with white, then realised that it looked great without another border.

Each square is about 8" and I "just" had enough pink.  I was starting to panic that I wouldn't have the cotton for the 8 squares.  I kept weighing what I had left and silently prayed that it would be enough...and there was!  PHEW!

As mentioned before, these wonderful free patterns are found on "Down Cloverlaine's" blog.  Just click on here and it will take you to her great site.

Until next post...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Knee Rug - Last one!

Mum is so happy to have finished all the cot quilts.
The colours don't come up as pretty as they really are, they look a bit drab here, but take my word for it, the colours are very rich.
 I used a floral quilting stitch.. sort of the same flower as in the material.
The backing is a quilt in itself, using strips of fabric from the same colour range.

Mum is a bit partial to this one and I think she wants to keep it for herself!

Until next post..

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Third King Size Quilt Finished

The binding certainly takes some time to do, especially when you do it in the adds while watching TV at night time.
This is based on a log cabin design and the free pattern can be found here.
I used a yellow floral fabric for the backing.

I think we will make some small things now.. like table runners.

Until next post..

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bright Child's Quilt

This is another of the cot sized quilts that I cut, Mum sewed, then I quilted.
The quilt has a cotton flannel front and a fleecy (stretch) on the back with wadding in between to help stabilise the stretch of the fleecy.
I thought I would try something different with the binding, so I attached the binding by the machine to the BACK of the quilt, then attached the binding to the front of the quilt using a herringbone stitch on my machine... this certainly was a quick way to attach a binding.
(I won't be using this method on large keepsake quilts, but might again on kids throw in the wash quilts).

Until next post...

Friday, September 13, 2013

4 more squares made for baby rug

I have now made 8 different pink squares in cotton.
I now will make the same 8 squares in white cotton.
Funny story with the above pattern...when the lady designed the Koala, she put a tail on it, (like a rabbit's) as she is an American and hadn't seen a picture of the back of a Koala... an Aussie contacted her and the poor designer had to give the Koala a "tail-ectomy"!
 I like the squirrel the best.. so cute!

As mentioned in my last post..please pop across to my "other" blog (homework for course I am doing) and I would be chuffed if you leave a comment.

Until next post...

Blogging Course

I decided to go to a course at our local Community Centre...on BLOGGING.

The teacher was into "story telling" on blogs.

There were 15 of us there and everyone except me, did NOT have an up and running blog.

We were given homework...go home and start a blog... me?.. I had to start another one, as well as keeping this one.

So I have, and if you go here,  you will see what I have decided to blog about.

Please pop over and leave a comment..tell me what you think.

Until next post...

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Woof & Meow

 Another 2 cloths are finished.  
The dog and the cat.
For those who know me well, you must be wondering why I knitted the cat, as I am a REAL dog lover and can't bring myself to like cats...
..well, I am not the one who will be owning the finished project, and it is only right to include a dog AND a cat.  (Must admit the cat looks pretty cute...for a cat!)

Must get back to binding the last king sized quilt... and quilt the cot quilts that Mum is running up!

But first I am going to play with a new gizmo that Mum and I bought at the Newcastle Quilt Show.. it cuts fabric in squares, rectangles & triangles...

Until next post...


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Re-purposed Luggage Labels

I needed a break from quilting, so.....

I decided to make some luggage labels by re-purposing the badges from my old clothing.

I use to work for a garage that sold Land Rovers, so after I left, I cut the emblems off my clothing and "re-purposed" them.
I did the same to our old RM Williams jeans.  I even cut the legs off the jeans and made the labels out of the fabric from them!

Until next post...

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Quilted Knee Rug & Knitted Squares

I was getting sick of sewing the binding on quilts, so I decided to knit a square in between quilts.
I got the patterns FREE from the blog Down Cloverlaine.  (I have her listed in my favourites as "Best dishcloth patterns"). 
All of the "dish/face cloths" she designs, are also adapted into a baby's bib.
I am knitting these with 100% cotton and I hope to make about 12 or 16 different patterns (half pink, half cream), sew them together and make a baby blanket.
...and another knee rug.  Flannel on top and fleecy behind.
Mum says she is seeing squares in her sleep! ...well she has another 3 lined up to make!
Until next post...

Monday, September 2, 2013

Quilt finished

I finished the binding last night on another of my king size quilts.  I decided to use some of my left over bindings .. after all it is a "scrap quilt".
This pattern was from Crazy Mom Quilts blog.
I used a blue backing covered in cute animals.
The quilting was ribbon bows.  (If you click on the photo, it will show the quilting much better!)
I loved this pattern and will certainly be quilting more quilts with it.

Now I have one more king sized quilt to bind, then onto knee rugs.

Until next post...